What would you like to vote for?

Advanced Tax API / Integration for External Sources

Allow taxes to be calculated by using a custom tax processing script (hosted by the store, not by FoxyCart). This would allow stores to do lookups for states like Washington, which has tens of thousands of records necessary to accurately determine taxes.

Link to Washington's site:
http://dor.wa.gov/Content/FindTaxesAndRates/RetailSalesTax/DestinationBased/ClientInterface.aspx

61 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Adminfoxycart_brett (Admin, FoxyCart) responded  · 

UPDATE 2012-08-29: Our v1.0 adds support for address-based taxes from TaxDataSystems.com. It’s not necessarily the ability to query external tax systems directly, but we think it’ll address the vast majority of situations that prompted votes for this issue. Please let us know if you have any questions about this integration. http://www.foxycart.com/features/feature/localization/taxes

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adminfoxycart_brett (Admin, FoxyCart) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dylan, thanks :)

Mike, we're currently using a version of their database that does one tax rate per zip, so in situations where one zip code is split across two counties it gives the rate of the more populated of the counties within the zip. In a future FoxyCart version we'll be adding UI to prompt the customer to refine their address when we detect more than one possible tax rate within the entered zip code. No promises on when, but it probably won't be too many versions out, and in the meantime we hope this will get _way_ closer to perfect the vast, vast majority of the time.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there anything specific we need to make this tax integration work properly?

What about Cities like NYC that have dozens of county based shipping charges?

• Tracy Rhodes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And here we are in August 2012 and still appears to be no resolution to this situation. I have a client with a store in Nevada. Nevada sales tax rates change by County - 17 of them. Is there any way that I can make Foxycart work for this situation?

Solution?

• Meadow Creature commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have used Foxycart for 3 years and am in process of switching to Google Checkout because you guys just don't get that this matters. Google provides live Tax Data Systems' integration at no extra charge. I hate Google but no other hosted store < $100/mo does it as well as Google does it for free. You have an opportunity here.

• Dylan Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a solution here is mandatory. I just sold and setup a client using foxycart and now that we are going live and the issue of taxes came up - my GOD I LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT FOR CHOOSING FOXYCART!

• Robb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am currently advising my clients base in WA to turn of in-WA sales if they cannot afford a fully hosted e-commerce system with the applicable calculations. Not only is the calculation painful (which can be hacked in Foxycart) but the tracking and reporting and correcting for zip+4. A technical solution to this would be wonderful.

• Eric Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

State Sales and use tax are so complex that a function like this is *mandatory*. I love FoxyCart so far and will definitely be using it, as I am sure many others will when this is implemented. Until then, I am just staying away from eCommerce. Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base