What would you like to vote for?

Super Ship

Advanced shipping functionality, including: Multiple flat rate; Flat rate + live rates; Allow/Disallow specific countries, states/provinces/postal codes; specific shipping methods per products (for oversized, freight, etc.); package dimensions;

984 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adminfoxycart_brett (Admin, FoxyCart) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Adminfoxycart_brett (Admin, FoxyCart) responded  · 

UPDATE: 2018-01-29: We know this has been ages in coming. We’re still working on improving things, and have added a custom shipping endpoint so you can handle custom shipping needs on your end:
    https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/shipping#custom_shipping_endpoint

We also have recently added the ability to do some dimensional weights:
    https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/snippets/dynamically_set_shipping_box_dimensions

68 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cliff stoll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yawn.

Nothing from Brett since 4 years ago

I assume that nothing is shaking with dimensional weight and Foxycart.

• rstrelecki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello and happy new year!

Is Super Ship still happening?

We need to set the flat rate based on the destination country.

We could use the snippet or custom endpoint, but would rather built-in functionality if it's coming.

Thanks,

-Rob

• Andrew Summers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For what it's worth, I'm adding my name to this list. My shipments are all under one cubic foot, and right now with US carriers, these package rates are calculated by actual weight, not dimensional weight. Starting next month (2018), that goes away, and dimensional weight will be used for all packages. That's going to make a bit of a headache and probably result in some fairly miscalculated rates.

Also, every product I ship goes in its own shipping box. If someone submits an order for multiple products, they ship individually instead of in a master shipping box. The problem? A few people have figured out that shipping doesn't go up much when they add a second product, and that includes the air rates. When I actually go to ship the order, the shipping is roughly double what they paid. When it's a 2-Day or Next Day Air purchase for two or three products, that hurts . . .

Thanks guys - as always, I appreciate your hard work. If you have updates, I know the people on this thread would appreciate hearing something.

• Cliff stoll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For UPS shipments, we need dimensional weight

... our boxes are lightweight. Although the products may weigh 9 or 10 ounces, because the package is fairly large, UPS charges us for a 2 or 3 pound package. However, Foxycart only charges the customer for a 9 or 10 ounce shipment. Result: we lose several dollars per shipment.

• Keri Morgret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for dimensions included in the shipping, especially with FedEx also now using dimensional weights for all ground shipping. We have fiberglass boat models that can be just a few pounds, but six feet long.

• Beau Simensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was sort of hoping that package dimensions were going to be used somewhat soon since it was being talked about here. However, I just realized people have been asking for this as far back as 2008?!

We are selling art and have had to make due w/ the live shipping rates not handling envelope shipments very well but thought we'd be fine selling larger paintings (functionality I'm currently working how). However, I realize now that dimensions are super important for that as well as our paintings can run anywhere fro 6"x6" to 18"x24" of varying depths. Shipping rates can vary drastically and assuming 1'x1'x1' will either cause our customers to pay way too much in shipping or we're going to get stuck eating a large chunk of profit to pay for shipping.

Truth be told, one of the biggest reasons I wanted to use FoxyCart was because of the built-in live rates for multiple shipping companies. This is because I didn't want to have to write my own solution for shipping. At this point I'm not sure if I'd be better off just writing my own shipping calculator and bring it all in house.

The last update on here was from January 27th, 2014 in which it was stated that the foundation had been built and that there was a UI already in place. Is there any new update that can be added or is it still "work in progress" w/ no more specifics on release date?

• dustystrings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this project? UPS is now using dimensional weight for all sizes of package, and USPS has also implemented dimensional weight pricing for domestic Priority Mail. Since we ship a number of items that are lightweight but large, it's getting more and more difficult to get along with the assumption that all boxes are smaller than a cubic foot. We're wondering if we should just hang in there for now because a more robust system is not too far off, or if we should spend the time to revamp our custom shipping logic to try and cover the extra costs for large packages.

• dustystrings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's another vote for multi-carton shipping, which for our needs would be covered by a "ships by itself" option.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When length, width and height are incorporated into Shipping, will it be possible for the Shipping function to pick the correct sized box? I have a client that has *packing size* dimensions all figured out. So, if someone order 1 each of 3 distinctly sized products, the Shipping can figure out if it requires USPS Priority Small, Medium, or Large.

• Adminfoxycart_brett (Admin, FoxyCart) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@anonymous and others: No need to check for duplicate suggestions or requests. It's worth it for us to know how many people need which types of features, so please feel free to add your own comments even if they've already been laid out by others.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finding a potentially similar comment is difficult and time consuming so, unfortunately I may be duplicating someone's suggestion. I did globally search the forum and some of the resulting pages but, so far, none of the results are close to what I'm interested in.

I'd like to see in the admin's control for shipping the ability to specify a breakpoint for shipping weight. Instead of writing scripts (as required in ver 1.1), I'd like to type in a weight (I also imagine a more complex possibility to set breakpoints based on quantity of an item in a given category or maybe even the volume of that product. But, for my needs, I only need a weight breakpoint.)

The FC cart would send to checkout processing it's calculation of the expected number of boxes based on these breakpoints. For example, I need to add a box to the shipment every time the total weight exceeds a multiple of 30 lbs. If the cart has a 96 lb order, the checkout would send to live shipping rate processing 3 boxes @ 30 lbs and 1 box at 6 lbs.

In other words, once a shipment exceeds the breakpoint, FC makes that shipment quantity of boxes shipped +1. Example, FC assumes 1 box shipped. I set the weight breakpoint to be 30 lbs and each time the sum of the weights for the products in the cart exceeds a multiple of 30 lbs, FC then

• Steve Dobkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One feature lacking in most systems (since it gets pretty complicated) is multi-carton shipping. Rates will change on shipping two cartons vs. one carton on a single shipment. Also, client may need to use multiple sized cartons.

• Adminfoxycart_brett (Admin, FoxyCart) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Neil: We'll respond by email, but short answer: We're looking at later 2014 or into 2015, probably. We know this is a giant need for FoxyCart users, and we're working towards it.

In the meantime, a _lot_ can be accomplished via some of the hacks, and we're happy to help you get things customized just right for you. Email us at help@foxycart.com and one of our team (most likely Adam) will help you get what you need.

• Neil Creagh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys, Great work on Foxycart! Honestly, what kind of timeline are we talking about before SuperShip is released? Could you just indicate if we're talking abut a few weeks, a few months, or maybe next year?
        I have a couple of projects coming up that I'd love to use Foxycart for but without having an easier way to implement weight based shipping calculations to different destinations I think I'll use another solution, unfortunately. I love the Foxycart model, and how un-opinionated it is with regards to the CMS set-up, but setting up this custom shipping set-up is very difficult.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We operate a Canadian store and utilize Canada Post for shipping. Are there plans to include Canada Post as a live ship option in v2?

Barring that, what would you the recommend? (Store owner said he probably could set flat-rates for all of North America, based on product, but he'd prefer to have accuracy, rather than have to err on the expensive side and lose competitiveness).

• Benji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to offer a coupon that would give free shipping to specific locations so I can target sales a campaigns to that location. Example: A coupon for free shipping to USA this week. The only way I know how to do this is to apply free shipping to every order which is a pain.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base